We are hiring for a Full-Time Enterprise Architect. Right now, many of our employees are working from home, and for this role, we currently support remote work from Utah, Texas, Colorado, California, Arkansas, and additional states on a case-by-case basis. As we look to return to our Provo campus during 2021, we will require physical relocation for employees in states outside of Utah, Texas, Colorado, California, or Arkansas.
Our story begins in 1984, in Provo, Utah, with a group of friends who wanted to bring good-for-you personal care products to market. Sandy, Blake, and Steve committed to launch sustainably sourced beauty and skin care products with “All of the good and none of the bad.” The team wanted to help people, too. They integrated their new product line with an opportunity platform for entrepreneurs. More than 35 years later, Nu Skin is operating in nearly 50 markets across the world. Our founders’ commitment to premium beauty products and the entrepreneur spirit has kept us growing into the global, publicly traded company we are today.
Nu Skin is looking for an Enterprise Architect. You will be the lead of the global architecture team defining and developing information technology strategy, including IaaS/PaaS/SaaS. The Enterprise Architect is responsible for helping leaders enable their future-state capabilities that, in turn, will drive Nu Skin’s targeted outcomes through the choice of programs, projects and initiatives the organization chooses to invest in. The Enterprise Architect must be capable of practically applying existing, new and emerging technologies to new and evolving organizational models. In addition, they must be able to understand, monetize and operationalize new technologies. You will be the owner of the future state architecture including roadmap and reference artifacts for investment, adoption, application/system design and automation. You will demonstrate your technical depth, thought leadership, authentic interpersonal skills and passion to lead culture change.
You will be innovative, mission-driven, and a trusted thought-leader skilled at leading conversations to a decision. This position will engage with organizational leaders to define solutions and then deliver results. You will understand “how stuff works” at the core level and be familiar with underlying e-commerce and associated Nu Skin technologies. You should be highly collaborative and supportive of ideals and strategies, be unflappable in the face of opposition to architectural ideals and be practical and principle-based in your decision-making approach and problem-solving abilities.
Responsible for the overall enterprise/strategic architecture, including Platform Roadmap, Service Roadmap, and Product selection approval. Including the following:
- Represents the Chief Technology Officer in meetings with the business and other technology teams.
- Responsible for overall strategic architecture which must be aligned with, and supportive of, Nu Skin’s technology strategy and inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric, and global.
- Responsible for Platform and Service Roadmaps as well as associated product selections informed by business requirements and strategic plans as well as best of breed and emerging technologies.
- Develop a broad and detailed understanding of ecosystem, associated business, application, component services, and integrations with Nu Skin’s wider set of systems.
- Champion and drive the evolution and transformation of ecosystem in alignment with Platform and Service roadmaps.
- Solutions Architecture – develop a direction for managing the portfolio of to-be solutions.
- Technical Architecture – evolve the technical infrastructure.
- Application Architecture (subset of solutions architecture) – guide application design and define application architecture paradigms, such as service-oriented architecture (SOA), principles that influence design decisions and patterns that provide proven design solutions.
- Leads, manages, and balances bimodal EA program – one EA team with two modes of operating:
Mode 1 is Foundational EA (tactical), which maintains and evolves future-state IT capabilities with a focus on efficiency and predictability of the existing IT estate.
Mode 2 is Vanguard EA (strategic), which designs and enables future-state IT capabilities with a focus on technology disruption, speed, agility, and flexibility, while meeting today’s organizational needs with an optimized Mode 1 strategy.
- Responsible for defining the EA process and architecture review and advisory process, and for leading the integration of those processes with related organizational and IT processes.
- Lead, prioritize, and develop the overall enterprise architecture approach for the organization, and communicate architectural direction.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to plan and prioritize (via value proposition), migration of systems to future state architectures.
- Contribute to the creation of governing principles to guide Enterprise Architecture decision making.
- Consult with product teams to fit projects to enterprise architecture, as well as to identify when it is necessary to modify the enterprise architecture to accommodate project needs.
- Consult with domain teams to fit domains to architecture, as well as to identify when it is necessary to modify the planned architecture to accommodate domain need
The Enterprise Architect will demonstrate competencies across these six key dimensions:
1. LEAD AND INFLUENCE
- Lead the creation and evolution of the global enterprise-wide architecture program
- Lead the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business strategy and requirements
2. FOCUS ON STRATEGY AND EXECUTION
- Demonstrate the business value of architecture as an enabler of strategy formulation, and as support for technology innovation, which drives the organization's top and bottom lines.
- Formulate, translate, advocate, support and execute business strategy to achieve the organization's targeted business outcomes.
3. RESEARCH AND UNDERSTAND TECHNOLOGY AND NONTECHNOLOGY TRENDS
- Scan the world for major disruptive technology and nontechnology trends (trendspotting) that affect business. Provide practical advice and best practices to overcome these challenges and successfully deliver the expected business outcomes.
- Lead the analysis of business and operating models, market trends and the technology industry to determine their potential impact on the enterprise's business strategy, direction and architecture.
- Define architecture blueprints and technology roadmaps.
4. ENABLE ENTERPRISE IDEATION AND INNOVATION
- Track and apply innovative and existing technologies, anchoring them in the business model to assess their potential, and use rapid prototyping approaches to evolve innovations.
- Run technology experiments, helping to create new products and services and integrating the best of theses into steady-state operations for the organization.
5. DETERMINE AND HELP ORCHESTRATE THE DELIVERY OF BUSINESS OUTCOMES
- Guide and advise stakeholders about disruptive technologies and trends.
- Ensure technology roadmaps across applications, infrastructure, middleware and other aspects of technology are evolving in sync with each other.
- Work with business peers to develop and present business capability models and roadmaps to facilitate discussion and decision making with stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Lead analysis of the business' future-state capabilities and future (and current) IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement and driving the business forward.
- Lead analysis of the IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Present a gap analysis and/or IT investment roadmap that reflects the status of the existing IT estate, namely, its ability to contribute to future-state business capabilities around ecosystems and digital platforms.
- Lead the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business requirements and IT strategies.
- Lead and facilitate the creation of governance, assurance and standards to guide EA decision making.
- Oversee the evaluation and selection of architecture standards, as necessary.
- Consult with infrastructure, project and product teams to ensure consistency with the enterprise
- Determine and document the public Cloud vendors utilization posture. Which vendors are allowed and document the rational and motivation for poly-Cloud use.
- IaaS/PaaS/SaaS utilization guide. Build and maintain decision guide for determining which XaaS to use for a given set of requirements.
- Demonstrating abilities to derive, define, and explicitly represent various artifacts within The Enterprise Framework model.
- Developing and maintaining project level and Enterprise level model consistency and integration.
- Organizationally savvy, and understanding of the political climate of the enterprise and how to navigate obstacles and politics
- Ability to balance the long-term ("big picture") and short-term implications of individual decisions
- Ability to translate business needs into EA requirements
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of EA alternatives
- Ability to apply multiple solutions to business problems
- Ability to rapidly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Ready to think, behave and act in an innovative consulting manner to drive the organization's digital business strategies
- Effective at driving short-term actions that are consistent with long-term goals
Directly supervises one or more employees. Carries out responsibilities with close collaboration with Chief Technology Officer. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- 10+ years architect/design/implementation experience of global large-scale, highly available transactional systems with loosely coupled architecture patterns
- Knowledge of business ecosystems, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, SOA, APIs, open data, microservices, event-driven architecture, domain-driven design, and predictive analytics.
- Exposure and understanding of existing, new and emerging technologies, and processing environments.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of all components of holistic enterprise architecture.
- Knowledge of business engineering principles and processes.
- Familiarity with basic graphical modeling approaches, tools and model repositories.
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience with significant depth of knowledge on designing, implementing and deploying cloud native solutions on public cloud such as AWS, Alibaba and Azure
- Expert in developing highly distributed micro-service architectures in global environments
- Deep experience with security, mobile, data and modern web technologies
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to right level the conversation
- Familiarity with common enterprise services (Directory Services, Information Assurance, products
- Hands on knowledge of SAP and associated modules and architectures
- Frameworks (ITIL, Zachman, TOGAF, etc.)
- Understanding of Domain Languages: Java, Nodejs, Python
- Technical degree required: Bachelor’s in computer science, engineering or equivalent
Nice to Have:
- Masters and/or PhD
- Global Enterprise Experience
- Global Manufacturing and Logistics/Value Stream experience
Our “Must Haves”:
- Have passion. Be passionate about you do, we believe this is the key to company success and personal fulfillment. In this role, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will make big impact on our people and culture with your passion
- Be curious. Open to what you don’t know, invite diverse perspectives, listen with the intent to understand and learn, and be the lifetime learner
- Be an entrepreneur. Have the courage to disrupt routines, challenge mediocrity, fail fast, learn and recover quickly
Benefits & Perks
You will be part of an engaged, inclusive, global community that values family, giving back, beauty, and sustainability. We offer competitive benefits with comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage; supplemental life, short-term, and disability insurance; free access to health coaches, therapists, and an onsite fitness center; a health savings account & 401k with company match; an incentive bonus program; and access to our top-quality beauty & wellness products. You’ll also be empowered to prioritize what’s important to you through flexible work arrangements and a generous vacation policy. Thinking about adding little ones to your family? We have generous maternity and paternity leave too.
What We Value
Purpose: We’re on a mission to be a “A Force for Good.” We promote a culture of doing good while providing opportunity for personal and professional growth. We prioritize giving back, whether that’s through empowering employees to join week-long service trips in Malawi, Africa, designating days for employees across the world to participate in community service projects, or creating sustainable products and packaging, you will be able to make a difference. We have eight guiding principles: to be A Force for Good, Accountable & Empowered, Bold Innovators, Customer Obsessed, Direct & Decisive, Exceptional, Fast Speed, and One Global Team.
Equal Opportunity. We are an equal opportunity employer. Success and cultural fit are dependent on living the Nu Skin Way and are independent of race, age, gender orientation, sexual orientation, religion, or disability. We believe our capability to improve lives is enhanced when we understand and reflect the diversity of our sales leaders, customers, and employees. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the application process may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation in accordance with applicable law. If you need assistance completing an application or participating in an interview because of a disability, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at 1.801.345.1000.