Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have more than 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex challenges.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person in this position will work with multidisciplinary project teams providing electrical engineering and related technical expertise. Work will include integrating process, mechanical, and control requirements into comprehensive electrical systems. Responsibilities will include completing calculations and analyses; developing design details; preparing drawings, specifications, sketches, and cost estimates; selecting equipment; writing proposals and reports; and communicating with clients. Project work will include the design of power and controls for power plants, refineries, mine processing facilities, and other heavy industrial facilities. Work may involve short-term, out-of-town assignments.
* Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with academic coursework focused on power or control systems
* 0 to 3 years of relevant experience
* Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
* Familiarity with AutoCAD, Excel, and Word
* Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
* Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with team members in a high-energy working environment that encourages self-initiative
* A flexible working style and a willingness to modify personal schedule as required to meet deadlines and client needs
* Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
* Acceptable driving record
* Experience working in a design capacity on projects directly related to job responsibilities described above at a consulting engineering or industrial organization
* Experience with automation systems such as Rockwell Automation Logix platform, Studio 5000, and FactoryTalk software
* Power distribution design experience
* Experience modeling power distribution systems using SKM and/or ETAP
* Proven project or task management skills
* Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification, or ability to obtain within one year
NOTE: Applicants must be able to work in locations that feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and to enter and work within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
Barr is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other lawfully protected status.